- Patents | Designs & Copyright | Patent Oppositions & Appeals | Consultancy
- Automotive | Financial Services | FMCG | IT & Software | Medical Devices | Microfluidics | Optics | Physics | Telecommunications
- T +44 (0)207 539 4200
Practice and professional experience
Arguably the highest profile patent attorney in the UK, Gwilym advises clients on all aspects of the patent process including IP audit and capture, IP filing strategies and patent portfolio management techniques. He acts for a range of clients including individuals, SMEs, Universities, and spin outs through to multi-nationals and handles a broad and diverse range of cases before the UK Patent Office, EPO and WIPO.
Gwilym has received the following accolades, which demonstrate his depth of experience and understanding of the sector:
- Managing IP has acknowledged Gwilym as an ‘IP Star’ for Patents in their IP Stars Handbook 2014. ‘Perhaps the leading name at the firm is Gwilym Roberts who is recognised by clients and competitors as one of the top names currently operating in the industry. One says: “In general, Gwilym is always proactive and helpful in making sure he and his team can provide us with the best quality service – in other words going out of his way to make sure we get useful advice and valuable patents. He is very sharp and quickly focuses on the nub of the issue meaning he is thinking of the answers before you ask the questions. Gwilym always has a very positive attitude giving you a lot of confidence in the solutions he proposes.”’
- ‘Gwilym Roberts is an influential figure on the UK market; the “bright, personable” partner is feted as an all-round strategic authority.’ (IAM Patent (2014)). He has also been 'Highly Recommended' for ‘Individuals - prosecution’
- ‘Gwilym Roberts is a very well known and “easy to work with” practitioner working in patents.’ (Chambers and Partners (2014)).
- The Legal 500 (2012) recognise that Gwilym is 'very good on patent strategy, portfolio management and lateral thinking'.
- Gwilym 'does some great stuff' and is 'extremely personable and easy to deal with' (IAM Patent 1000 (2012)).
- Gwilym Roberts was picked out by one client who said: ‘He really does take up things quickly, even with the more advanced cases. He is good at reading back to the inventors, often getting it with the first draft, which is incredible.’ (Managing IP (2009)).
European Patent Attorney
Chartered UK Patent Attorney
UK Patent Attorney Litigator
Physics degree - University of Oxford 1990
CIPA - Council Member, CIPA Patents Committee Member, CIPA European Patent Office Liaison Committee Chairman, CIPA Patent Practice Working Group (UK Patent Office) Liaison
UNION - President of the British Group of the Union of European Patent Practitioners
American Bar Association – Co-chair International Action Group
Honorary Research Fellow - Bournemouth University
Honorary Visiting Professor - Queen Mary University of London
A Practical Guide to Drafting Patents (Sweet & Maxwell)
CIPA Patent Training Manual (Editor and contributor)
Publications in the European Intellectual Property Review, Managing Intellectual Property, Landslide (Journal of the ABA), CIPA Journal, IPKat blog, Patently-O blog
‘... very good on patent strategy, portfolio management and lateral thinking’.
The Legal 500