- Patents | Patent Oppositions & Appeals | Patent Term Extensions | Consultancy
- Biotechnology | Chemistry | CleanTech | Life Sciences | Medical Devices | Microfluidics | Nanotechnology | Pharmaceutical | Synthetic Biology
- T +44 (0)20 7539 4234
Practice and professional experience
Nick's practice concentrates on the areas of pharmacology and biochemistry, particularly cell and molecular biology. Nick has been significantly involved in patent applications relating to:
- Cloning (nuclear transfer)
- Stem cells / regenerative medicine
- Cancer immunotherapy
- Gene therapy
- Monoclonal antibodies
- Controlled release / sustained release pharmaceutical formulations
- Genetic diagnosis and biomarkers
- Synthetic biology
- Medical devices / diagnostic devices
Experience has provided Nick with an insight into intellectual property issues of research institutions, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. His practice ranges from drafting original patent applications and devising filing strategies, to advising on intellectual property aspects of company mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence on intellectual property rights. His European portfolio includes post-grant opposition proceedings at the EPO, contentious proceedings in other foreign jurisdictions, as well as obtaining Supplementary Protection Certificates for pharmaceuticals.
Nick has received the following industry recognition for his work within the sector:
- Nick has been recognised for his handling of 'a massive portfolio for International Stem Cell Corporation' and his success securing a decision for them before the European Court of Justice (IAM Patent 1000, 2016).
- Nick is individually ranked in band 1, Patent attorneys, Chambers and Partners 2016. His profile in that ranking reads:
'Nick Bassil is experienced at all stages of patent matters, from drafting through filing to oppositions. He specialises in life science.'
- Managing IP has acknowledged Nick as an ‘IP Star’ for Patents in their 2014, 2015 and 2016 IP Stars Handbook.
- Nick is acknowledged as a 'pharmacology and biochemistry master’ who plays a 'key role' in the chemistry and life sciences arenas (IAM Patent 1000, 2015). Nick has also been ‘Recommended’ for ‘Individuals - prosecution’.
- Nick has been named as an expert in his field in the Patents Expert Guide 2015.
- 'Other star players include life science expert … Nick Bassil' who is acknowledged for his commercial approach. (IAM Patent 1000, 2014). Nick has also been 'Recommended' for 'Individuals - prosecution.'
- "Nick Bassil has 'peerless understanding of complex and innovative biological and cell therapies’" (The Legal 500, 2013).
- Chambers and Partners acknowledged Nick as one of their "Leaders in their Field" in Band 1 for the last three consecutive years.
- "Nick Bassil is recommended by peers as 'someone I would send work to"'in the field of life sciences." (Chambers and Partners, 2014).
- 'Nick Bassil is much sought after for his work on biotechnology and pharmacology, and he takes a keen interest in developments in cell and molecular biology. He has recently advised Celtic Pharma PEG on ground-breaking technology concerned with blood clotting.' (Chambers and Partners, 2013).
- IAM Patent 1000 has also commended Nick individually for the last two years. As a "'prestigious lawyer' Nick Bassil is particularly active in biotechnology matters and turned heads recently in a high-profile stem-cell case" (IAM Patent 1000, 2013).
- 'Life sciences and chemistry expert Nick Bassil has a cutting-edge practice, demonstrated by his extensive involvement in applications relating to aspects of cell cloning technology.' Clients have commented that he is 'extremely personable and easy to deal with' (IAM Patent 1000, 2012).
- Described as 'brilliant at his job' and 'extremely knowledgeable' by The Legal 500, 2012).
- Patent partner Nick Bassil specialises in pharmacology and biochemistry. He receives client praise for being 'highly knowledgeable and great to work with.' (Chambers and Partners, 2011).
European Patent Attorney (1999)
Chartered UK Patent Attorney (1998)
European Design Attorney
IP Litigator - Patent
MSc in Management of Intellectual Property (1992) from Queen Mary College, University of London.
MSc thesis (1992) on "Molecular characterisation of the endocytic pathway using the fission yeast Schizosaccaromyces pombe" from the University of Birmingham
BSc honours degree in Biochemistry (1988) from the University of Birmingham
Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
European Patent Office (EPI)
International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
The Intellectual Property Lawyers' Organisation (TIPLO)
The Biochemical Society
‘An introduction to international IP instruments relevant to electronics and software’, Intellectual Property in Electronics and Software, Part 1, Chapter 1, Globe Law & Business (2013)
‘Practical implications of the unitary patent system in Europe’, Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst 2(5), 585-590 (2013)
'An introduction to international IP instruments relevant to life sciences’, Intellectual Property in the Life Sciences, Part 1 Chapter 1, Global Law & Business, (2011)
‘Developments in the patentability of inventions relating to human embryonic stem cells’, Bio-Science Law Review, volume 12 (1), pages 3-7 (2011)
'Regenerative Medicine European Court to rule on stem cell patents’, Mednous, volume 5, (5), page 20, May 2011
"... brilliant at his job" and "extremely knowledgeable"
The Legal 500