The patent and trade mark attorney sector is unusual.
In some ways, the firms are like law firms. They provide legal advice and services to their clients. They’re also usually partnerships with practice groups of trainees, associates and partners working alongside expert colleagues in business support teams. And the best firms have a sharp focus on client relationships, top quality work and hiring and looking after the very best people.
But they’re also different. They are focussed solely on patents and trademarks, and so their clients are drawn from the world’s most innovative technology companies and brand owners. Being specialists, the top firms in this sector are much smaller than the leading law firms; but they’re nevertheless highly profitable. And the attorneys who work in them aren’t solicitors. Instead, many are scientists or engineers.
More different still
Kilburn & Strode stands out even in this unusual sector.
As one of the top patent and trade mark attorney firms in Europe, we enjoy high praise in all the leading guides to our sector. We also act for some of the world’s most creative and innovative companies: Aston Martin, Boeing, Cisco… and others.
But some things really mark us out. Although we’ve been around for over 100 years, we look forward not back. We have a vision, a strategy and a strategic plan for the next few years.
We know that our reputation as a firm is based entirely on the quality of the individuals who work here. That’s why we’ve always been uncompromising in seeking out people who are not only at the top of their game, but who also share our enthusiasm and outlook. We constantly work to deliver the best total reward package in our sector and are a step ahead in flexible working, parental leave and our bespoke in-house business skills training programme.
Everyone at Kilburn & Strode should live our values in everything they do: Think Creatively, Take responsibility, Build relationships, Respect others, and Excel!
This is an outstanding opportunity for a Credit Controller to play a key part in the future success of an unusually progressive and high-quality firm in this lesser known, but highly rewarding, sector.
The finance team is at the heart the ongoing transformation and planned future success of the firm. The strategy of the finance team (each of the business support teams has a strategy that aligns with and rolls-up in to the firm’s strategy) is to:
- Support delivery of the firmwide strategy and the Practice Group plans by providing business advice, not just data.
- Achieve ever-greater operational speed and accuracy though technology and new thinking.
A need has arisen to improve the Credit Control function in our Finance team. This role will be line managed by the Financial Operations Manager and responsible for the smooth analysis, resolution and collection of the firm’s Trademark debt position. There is a real opportunity for the successful candidate to shape and streamline our collection processes following recent system changes.
The role is primarily responsible for the collection of debt for the Firms Trademark practice covering the firm's UK/NL offices. This is a proactive role seeking to achieve and maintain an optimum lock-up cycle and act as a focal point for partners and fee earners in the practice group.
In the immediate short-term the successful candidate will be assisting a ‘catch up’ exercise following the introduction of new finance and matter management systems.
As Credit Controller, your role will be inclusive of the following:
- Focus on the reduction of aged debt for the Firms Trademarks group.
- Weekly running and analysis of aged debt reports for the group to identify and resolve delinquent accounts.
- Monthly organisation of meetings with partners in the Trademarks group to review, discuss and advise action plans for timely collection of invoices.
- Developing strong working relationships with partners and clients to proactively resolve client queries pertaining to issued invoices
- Dealing with ad hoc requests received through the Firms Credit Control inbox
- Investigation of past credits received and working through to apply funds to bills or return balances to clients where possible.
- Pro-active involvement and ownership of the relevant work streams assigned.
- Resolving client queries in a prompt and professional manner
- Working with the Billing, eBilling and other Credit Controllers to successfully help reduce debt across the Firm.
- Able to apply commercial logic to advise the business on best practice in order to obtain the maximum financial benefit for the firm.
The finance team consists of two parts: operations and reporting. This role will be supporting the operations team and will report directly to the Finance Operations Manager. The finance team is a busy and friendly one. We have helped transform the firm in recent years, but there are many opportunities for future improvement. We have a clear view of the future and are always looking to innovate so we can better meet our clients’ and colleagues’ needs. The successful candidate will work closely with our current Billing Administrator, the Accounts Payable Specialist and fee earners to ensure bills are produced accurately and correctly first time in accordance with the client’s instructions. You will also work closely with the Credit Control team to ensure that client billing queries are resolved promptly.
Our ideal candidate
You will have:
- Ideally circa 2 years credit control experience demonstrating working with high value and demanding clients.
- Confident and proactive attitude to debt collection
- A great team player with a positive work attitude who wants to make a difference and can build relationships at all levels
- Commercially driven experience within a Law Firm environment with experience of credit control processes
- Strong numeracy. Excellent attention to detail, written and verbal communication skills
- Brilliant organisation
- Stand out client care skills
- A calm and confident manner; can handle potentially difficult conversations and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Creativity and improvement mindset – the firm is growing and we hire individuals to grow with us. Vital to this will be getting to most out of the new finance and matter management systems
- Proud to work effectively as part of a diverse and inclusive team
- Flexibility and a willingness to work additional hours on occasion as required
- Advanced experience using Microsoft Excel
We aren’t committed to diversity because it’s “good for business” or because it’s the “right thing to do.” We’re committed because it makes our firm a superb place to work. Whatever your background, you’re welcome here because we love the creativity that difference brings.
All candidates will be treated on their merits regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital status, disability, or socio-economic background.
If you're interested in this role, please apply now by sending an up to date copy of your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.