Kilburn & Strode is one of Europe’s leading firms of patent and trade mark attorneys. We hire the best people and we do excellent work for the world’s finest organisations – companies like Aston Martin, Boeing, and Cisco.
We deal with all aspects of patents, trademarks and designs. We work for a broad range of clients from major international corporations through to individual inventors.
London is our international headquarters, we also have offices in Munich, The Hague, Hilversum and San Francisco. Visitors include international executives from the United States, Korea, Japan and China, top UK judges and leading figures from the international IP community.
Everything flows from our people: we encourage a culture of working together and every member of our team is equally respected. We really understand our clients’ points-of-view to give them an excellent experience, creating a friendly and innovative culture where like-minded people want to train and work.
We know that our reputation as a firm is based entirely on the quality of the individuals who work here. That’s why we’ve always been uncompromising in seeking out people who are not only at the top of their game but who also share our enthusiasm and outlook. We constantly work to deliver the best total reward package in our sector and are a step ahead in flexible working, parental leave and our bespoke in-house business skills training programme.
Everyone at Kilburn & Strode should share and demonstrate our values in everything they do here: think creatively, take responsibility, build relationships, respect others and excel.
This is a relatively new role and its core purpose is to make sure that the fee earners in Tech and their clients are fully supported, with our fee earners spending as much time on chargeable work as possible. This would involve leading and managing the support team which is currently structured as two secretarial/PA/paralegal teams and a separate client support team for larger clients. With time the structure may change and there is scope to develop and tailor the role accordingly.
As an organisation we are very progressive and change-minded. We see the exciting challenge of this role as building on the experience and capabilities of our support staff and developing them as a service-oriented, high performing team so that they can work collaboratively with our fee earners to provide a high-quality service to our clients.
The role would suit someone with experience in the legal services industry. Knowledge of IP and patents is desirable, but not essential. A proven track record in leading and managing a team is essential, as are excellent communication skills.
The following sections outline the key requirements:
- Ensure the Tech fee earner support requirements are fully met.
- Ensure excellent client support.
- Lead and manage the team.
- Plan and communicate.
- Responsibility for prioritisation of work, continuity of service and fair allocation.
- Create a high performing team.
- Run the client support team.
Ensuring the Tech fee earner support requirements are fully met
- Understand fee earner support needs and ensuring they are met.
- Identify new fee earner requirements as they arise, and create and implement solutions, such as putting new processes in place.
Ensuring excellent client support
- Understand the requirements of our clients and how we can best meet them.
- Understand inefficiencies in the way we work, for example inconsistent approaches between fee earners.
- Understand the firm’s systems and processes and ensuring a consistent approach is used, with customisation where appropriate.
- Recommend quick wins or simple, positive changes.
Leading and managing the team
- Lead and manage our Tech support team, identify learning & development needs and address poor performance.
- Review the structure of our current Tech support team and make suggestions to improve it.
- Be responsible for annual and interim appraisals for our support staff and manage their pay and bonus review.
- Take an active role in managing resourcing levels, making the case for new temporary or permanent resources as appropriate, and taking responsibility for recruiting for these roles.
- Ensure appropriate consultation and communication on any changes made to team members, group fee earners and other staff as needed.
Planning and communicating
- Ensure you have a plan to provide the support that is needed, including having the right structure of your team and the right people to provide the support.
- Communicate to the group partners and fee earners what you have understood and your plan.
Being responsible for prioritisation of work, continuity of service and fair allocation
- Oversee the approval of holidays and absence, ensuring the team has the appropriate cover at any given time.
- Review differences in workload and help with prioritisation. We want it to be an even distribution.
- Encourage and support a team approach to ensuring everything gets done on time.
Creating a high performing team
- Gather all of Tech support together on a regular basis to discuss workloads, changes, new initiatives, enabling a team approach to fee earner support.
- Consider ways to ensure Kilburn & Strode is a great place to work as a secretary/paralegal and implement those with help from others.
Running the client support team
- Ensure continuity of support for our larger Tech clients.
- Supervise the intake of new client cases for larger clients.
- Allocate work to the team as required.
- Line manage and ensure high performance of the team.
If you're interested in this role, please apply now by sending an up to date copy of your CV and covering letter to email@example.com.