As part of his degree course Jim worked on the metalworking shop floor of a supplier of automotive transmission components. He was also trained in the Apprentices’ School of an aircraft manufacturer before moving to a final assembly plant where he experienced the installation and testing of engines, undercarriage, hydraulics, avionics, ejector seats, parachutes and weapons systems.
Upon qualification as a patent attorney, Jim was awarded the CIPA Drafting Prize for the highest mark in the UK in the patent drafting exam. His patent practice centres on a wide range of mechanical engineering concepts, particularly in the automotive, aerospace, environmental, medical, marine, turbomachinery, transport, civil and construction fields. He also acts in relation to trade marks and designs before the UK IPO and EU IPO.
Much of his work concerns patent and trade mark prosecution and opposition under European and UK practice, although he has extensive world-wide experience of IP matters. He is also experienced in running infringement litigation and disputes in various jurisdictions.
Jim has received the following industry recognition:
- Jim has been recognised by The Legal 500 2018.
- Jim is noted as an 'aerospace ace' who provides ‘sage guidance’ by IAM Patent 1000, 2017.
- Jim was recognised as ‘practical and helpful’ by The Legal 500, 2017.
- Jim has been recognised as a 'mechanical ace' by IAM Patent 1000, 2016.
- Described as a 'mechanical guru', 'award- winning draftsman Miller gets to work on exciting projects for prestigious companies.' (IAM Patent 1000, 2015). Jim has also been ‘Highly Recommended’ for ‘Individuals – prosecution’.
- Jim has been named as an expert in his field in the Patents Expert Guide 2015.
- Jim ‘is noted for his work in the engineering sector’- Chambers and Partners, 2015.
- Jim has been 'recommended' in The Legal 500, 2014.
- "Patrons really warm to the 'exceptionally clever, creative and charming' Miller, as he takes a personal interest in his clients’ products and business. The precision drafter 'has assembled a team at Kilburn & Strode that sets up projects and executes efficiently and with a lot of strategy.'" (IAM Patent 1000, 2014). He has also been Highly Recommended for 'Individuals - prosecution.'
- "Sources praise him as someone who 'really knows his stuff.'" (Chambers and Partners, 2014)
- Chambers & Partners, 2012 recognises Jim as a leader in his field and describe Jim as an engineering expert and say that 'it would be unfair to say he's anything short of excellent - he's reliable, dependable and his work is always of impressive quality.'
- The Legal 500, 2011 recognises Jim as 'proactive' and a 'strong draftsman, with good interpersonal skills and technical knowledge.'
European Patent Attorney
Chartered UK Patent Attorney
European Trade Mark & Design Attorney
Chartered Trade Mark Attorney (UK)
IP Litigator - Patent
MA Hons, Engineering - University of Cambridge
Royal Aeronautical Society - Companion
Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) - Affiliate
Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
The Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (EPI)
Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)