Kristina practices primarily in the fields of biotechnology and pharmaceutical chemistry. She advises clients in areas of patent strategy and represents clients at the European Patent Office in prosecution matters, oppositions and appeals. Kristina has a track record of assisting various multi-national companies in their offensive and defensive patent position as they bring products to the marketplace. Kristina is regularly involved in providing advice in relation to infringement queries, as well as conducting freedom to operate searches on a world-wide scale. She has experience of filing and prosecutes families of SPC applications throughout Europe.
She has considerable experience in portfolios relating to foodstuffs, drug formulations, therapeutic treatments and to combination therapies, particularly in the area of infectious diseases.
Kristina lectures inside and outside of the profession. She is an examiner for the European Qualifying Examinations at the European Patent Office (Opposition paper) and is a member of the UK BioIndustry Association's Intellectual Property Advisory Committee. She has a particular interest in biotechnology patents in the USA.
Accolades that Kristina has received demonstrate her depth of experience and understanding of the sector:
- Kristina is described, by Chambers and Partners 2018, as a leading patent attorney with a concentration on pharmaceuticals and life sciences and is much sought after for EPO proceedings and litigation support before the courts. A client says, 'She's great at handling chemistry cases for large pharma clients.'
- Kristina has been recognised by The Legal 500 2018 for leading the team and defending Janssen Pharmaceutica against a revocation by Sandoz and Hexal in relation to its HIV-related drug Prezista.
- Kristina was recommended in The Legal 500 2017 for her leadership of a ‘truly outstanding’ life sciences and chemistry group.
- IAM Patent 2017 quotes that Kristina ‘has some serious game’.
- Kristina has been recognised in IAM Strategy 300 2017 as a leading IP Strategist.
- The ‘really impressive’ Kristina Cornish is a ‘first-rate’ patent attorney known for her deep technical expertise in the life sciences sector. – Chambers and Partners 2017
- Kristina is individually highly recommended by IAM Patent 1000 2016. She is commended for the 'expert opinion she provides in the life sciences sector' and her reputable EPO opposition work. Kristina is also highlighted as a 'player best placed to guide clients through both the familiar and unfamiliar terrain' of the UPC.
- Kristina is individually ranked in band 1, Patent attorneys, Chambers and Partners 2016. Her profile in that ranking reads: Kristina Cornish advises on all facets of patent work with respect to biotech and pharmaceuticals. Sources say: 'She's a real whizz on chemistry and clients really like her.' Reasons cited include her ability to explain things to those without a science background and her 'understanding of client priorities.'Kristina was named as a leading individual in The Legal 500, 2015 edition.
- Managing IP has acknowledged Kristina as an ‘IP Star’ for Patents in their 2014, 2015 and 2016 IP Stars Handbook.
- Kristina is referred to as an 'oppositions ace' and playing a 'key role' in the chemistry and life sciences arenas (IAM Patent 1000, 2015). Kristina is ‘Highly Recommended’ for ‘Individuals - prosecution’ and also named in the top tier as an individual before the EPO.
- Kristina has been named as an expert in her field in the Patents Expert Guide 2015.
- Kristina is ‘recognised for her work before the EPO which includes opposition and appeals’ – Chambers and Partners, 2015.
- Kristina Cornish has been recognised as a World leading patent agent in the ‘Who’s Who Legal: Patents 2015’ edition.
- Kristina is ‘recommended’ in the 2014, 2015 and 2016 edition of The Legal 500.
- Kristina has been recognised by LMG Life Sciences Europe 2014 as a ‘Life Sciences Star’.
- 'Other star players include life science expert Kristina Cornish’ who is acknowledged for her commercial approach (IAM Patent 1000, 2014).
- Kristina is ‘Highly Recommended’ for ‘Individuals - prosecution’ (IAM Patent 1000, 2014).
- Kristina is ‘Recommended’ individually for her work before the European Patent Office. (IAM Patent 1000, 2014).
- 'Kristina Cornish is widely recognised by sources as a skilled patent attorney who handles matters for the pharmaceutical and biotech industries' (Chambers and Partners, 2014). She is acknowledged as one of their Leaders in their Field’.
- 'Erudite Kristina Cornish advises a range of clients, from multinationals to universities’ (IAM Patent 1000, 2013).
- 'Kristina Cornish is another highly rated biotechnology specialist' who is 'extremely personable and easy to deal with' - IAM Patent 1000 Guide, 2012 edition.
- Kristina Cornish (is) highly recommended in the areas of Chemistry and Life Sciences’ - Chambers and Partners, 2010.
- 'Absolutely excellent, Kristina Cornish is considered an expert in the areas of Chemistry and Life Science' - Chambers and Partners, 2009.
European Patent Attorney
Chartered UK Patent Attorney
IP Litigator - Patent
BSc Honours in Biotechnology - University of London, King's College
Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) - Member of Life Sciences Committee
The Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (EPI) - EQE Committee member
UK BioIndustry Association (BIA) - Member of IP Advisory Committee
‘Allergan’s patent shield – The (Native) American dream?’, Pharmafile (2017)
‘European Patent Oppositions and Biotechnology’, Nature Biotechnology, (2000)