Alexander specialises in high-tech and physics and has been called a “star choice” and “whip-smart” (IAM 1000, 2018). Clients have described him as an "exceptional attorney who we trust to handle our IP matters" (Chambers and Partners, 2014) and as "very competent and easy to deal with" (MIP Handbook, 2012). He is appreciated for his "in-depth understanding of clients' portfolios and true technical expertise" (IAM Patent 1000, 2016) and "excellent business-oriented advice that is tailored to the size and strategy of the business" (MIP IP Stars, 2017). Fluent in German and French, he is "the perfect partner for clients seeking pan-European protection" (IAM Patent 1000, 2017).
Alexander is listed as one of the world's leading IP Strategists in Intellectual Asset Management's IAM Strategy 300 and has co-edited a book on IP Strategy for the boardroom, based on his years of experience advising his clients not only on the immediate legal issues at hand but also how to make strategic choices in the wider business context.
Alexander counsel clients "on the full range of contentious and non-contentious patent issues" (Chambers And Partners, 2013). His clients range from ambitious individuals, start-ups and SMEs to multi-national corporates and his technical expertise includes electromagnetics, drive systems, medical instrumentation, medical physics and bio-engineering; computer operating systems and object-oriented programming; delivery of multimedia entertainment services; video coding; conditional access systems; big data.
With his academic background, Alexander has particular expertise in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML), having worked at the Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit, a centre of excellence for computational and theoretical neuroscience and statistical machine learning. With interdisciplinary research work not only in neuroscience but also in protein crystallography and molecular modelling, Alexander is also the ideal partner for bioinformatics work.
Industry recognition at a glance:
- Alexander Korenberg specialises in implementing truly transformative patent strategies across a range of fields, from artificial intelligence to cloud services. - IAM Patent 2019
- Listed in IAM Strategy 300 as one of the world’s leading IP strategist.
- IAM Patent 1000, 2018: “a star choice”, “whip-smart”
- IAM Patent 1000, 2017: ‘The perfect partner for clients seeking pan-European protection’.
- MIP IP Stars, 2017 says Alexander provides ‘excellent business-oriented advice that is tailored to the size and strategy of the business’.
- IAM Patent 1000, 2016: ‘in-depth understanding of clients’ portfolios and true technical expertise’.
- Chambers and Partners, 2014: 'exceptional attorney who we trust to handle our IP matters'
- Chambers and Partners, 2013: recognises as a top-ranked attorney who counsels clients 'on the full range of contentious and non-contentious patent issues' and is 'particularly well versed in electromagnetics, drive systems, medical instrumentation and wireless communication'.
- MIP Handbook, 2012: 'very competent and easy to deal with'.
European Patent Attorney
Chartered UK Patent Attorney
IP Litigator - Patent
PhD (Computational Neuroscience) - University College London (2002)
Msci (Physics) - Imperial College London (1998)
Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
The Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (EPI)
European Patent Litigators Association (EPLIT)
European Business Angel Network (EBAN) - Member of the Law Committee
'The new edition of the EPO's Guidelines for Examination comes into effect today', Kilburn & Strode, November 2018
'EPO Draft Guidelines on patenting AI published – level playing field?', Kilburn & Strode, October 2018
'AI Meets IP: The patent challenge', Kilburn & Strode, October 2018
‘A Practical Guide to IP Management’, Intellectual Property Strategy, Globe Law and Business, March 2017
'ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law', International IP Legal Updates, Volume 2, Issue 1, April 2016
'C.I.P.A. Patents Training Manual', Contributing Editor
‘The unitary patent and the Unified Patent Court - an update’, Intellectual Property Magazine, February 2015
‘Is the UPC all hot air?’, Intellectual Property Magazine, November 2014
A. Korenberg, EPO Draft Guidelines on patenting AI published – level playing field? Asks Alexander Korenberg, Kilburn & Strode, (2018)
T. Hamer, A. Korenberg, The new edition of the EPO's Guidelines for Examination comes into effect today, Kilburn & Strode, (2018)
T. Hamer, A. Korenberg, Assessing the EPOs new guidelines on AI, Kilburn & Strode, (2018)
A. Korenberg, AI Meets IP: The patent challenge, Kilburn & Strode, (2019)