Arguably the highest profile patent attorney in Europe, Gwilym advises clients on all aspects of the patent process including IP audit and capture, IP filing strategies and patent portfolio management techniques. He acts for a range of clients including individuals, SMEs, Universities, and spin outs through to multi-nationals and handles a broad and diverse range of cases before the UK Patent Office, EPO and WIPO.
Gwilym has received the following accolades, which demonstrate his depth of experience and understanding of the sector:
- Gwilym has been noted by Chambers and Partners 2018 for advising primarily on electronic engineering and physics patents, and is frequently instructed to take over troubled registry cases on appeal.
- Gwilym has been recognised by The Legal 500 2018.
- Gwilym is ranked in Chambers and Partners 2018 as a 'Band 1 Patent Attorney' in the UK. The publication quotes a client saying ‘He never disappoints - he gives very focused advice and finds the real business angle’.
- IAM Patent, 2017 highlights that Gwilym provides ‘invaluable advice on the full spectrum of prosecution briefs’ and notes that he is ‘in high demand as an expert witness’.
- Gwilym has been recognised in IAM Strategy 300, 2017 as a leading IP Strategist.
- Gwilym is noted as a ‘highly regarded patent attorney’ and recognised for his onboarding of multinational Cisco to the firm. - The Legal 500, 2017
- Gwilym is noted as a ‘very bright’ patent specialist with ‘significant experience handling EPO oppositions and assisting with product clearance matters’. - Chambers and Partners, 2017.
- In Managing IP's 2016 IP Stars Handbook Gwilym is a recognised as a 'leading light in the future of the UK patent profession.‘
- IAM Patent 1000, 2016 described Gwilym as ‘theoretically brilliant’; noting his lecturing on intellectual property in Europe, the United States, Japan and China.
- Gwilym is commended for non-contentious work and disputes with one source saying: 'He's been in a lot of major cases over his career so you can rely on him to know the right strategy.' (Chambers and Partners, 2016)
- Gwilym Roberts has been 'Highly Recommended' in The Legal 500, 2015.
- Managing IP has acknowledged Gwilym as an 'IP Star' for Patents in their IP Stars Handbook 2016 and 2015 and he is recognised as 'a key IP thought-leader in the UK.'
- Gwilym has been named as an expert in his field in the Patents Expert Guide 2015.
- Gwilym Roberts has been recognised as a World leading patent agent in the ‘Who’s Who Legal: Patents 2015’ edition.
- Gwilym has been 'recommended' in The Legal 500, 2014 and acknowledged as 'a well-connected industry player.'
- Managing IP has acknowledged Gwilym as an 'IP Star' for Patents in their IP Stars Handbook 2014. 'Perhaps the leading name at the firm is Gwilym Roberts who is recognised by clients and competitors as one of the top names currently operating in the industry. One says: 'In general, Gwilym is always proactive and helpful in making sure he and his team can provide us with the best quality service – in other words going out of his way to make sure we get useful advice and valuable patents. He is very sharp and quickly focuses on the nub of the issue meaning he is thinking of the answers before you ask the questions. Gwilym always has a very positive attitude giving you a lot of confidence in the solutions he proposes.'
- "Gwilym Roberts is an influential figure on the UK market; the 'bright, personable' partner is feted as an all-round strategic authority". (IAM Patent, 2014). He has also been 'Highly Recommended' for 'Individuals - prosecution'.
- "Gwilym Roberts is a very well known and 'easy to work with' practitioner working in patents". (Chambers and Partners, 2014).
Gwilym has a keen personal interest in music and has been involved in various music-related start-ups including the innovative Eigenharp electronic instrument and the Jukedeck computer generated music platform, as well as founding the Kilburn & Strode office band The Black-IP’s.
European Patent Attorney
Chartered UK Patent Attorney
UK Patent Attorney Litigator
IP Litigator - Patent
Higher Courts Patent Litigator
Physics degree - University of Oxford 1990
Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) - Honorary Secretary, Council Member, CIPA Patents Committee Member – co-chair Asia group
The Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (EPI)
UNION - President of the British Group of the Union of European Patent Practitioners
American Bar Association (ABA)
British Association of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI-UK)
Honorary Visiting Professor - Queen Mary University of London
Journal of Intellectual Property Rights (JIPR) - Member of the Editorial Board
A Practical Guide to Drafting Patents (Sweet & Maxwell)
CIPA Patent Training Manual (Editor and contributor)
Publications in the European Intellectual Property Review, Managing Intellectual Property, Landslide (Journal of the ABA), CIPA Journal, IPKat blog, Patently-O blog
A. Auger, G. Roberts, Computer says no - AI given powers in Australian draft IP legislation, Kilburn & Strode, (2018)
G. Roberts, International Patent Litigation, Kilburn & Strode, (2018)
G. Roberts, Inventions, Innovators and IP, Kilburn & Strode, (2019)