Ryan handles a wide variety of trade mark matters. His practice includes clearance searches, the filing and prosecution of applications, oppositions and cancellation actions, and advising on licences and assignments. He has substantial experience of filing and managing worldwide applications via the Madrid Protocol. He is particularly experienced in clearance searches and was awarded the prize for the highest mark for the searching paper in the Final qualifying examinations.
He works for clients ranging from start-ups to multinational corporations. His clients are drawn from fields including telecommunications, food and drink, gaming, fashion and music, whilst he has a growing ‘greentech’ practice.
He has filed successful complaints via Nominet’s Dispute Resolution Service to force the transfer of abusive co.uk domain name registrations.
Ryan also handles European Registered Design applications and advises clients on copyright issues. He has acted as an Examiner for the Final examinations for qualification as a Trade Mark Attorney in the UK and lectured students on trade mark law. He is a contributor to The Community Trade Mark Handbook (Sweet & Maxwell).
Before entering the profession, he gained six years' experience in marketing, managing high-profile campaigns for clients in the financial services, media and telecommunications industries.
Accolades that Ryan has received demonstrate his understanding of the sector:
- Ryan is recommended by The Legal 500 2018.
- Ryan was recommended in Legal 500 2017 and recognised for his work on high profile ventures for easyGroup.
- WTR 1000 2016 notes Ryan as 'a clearance search guru who has lately proven himself to be a new client magnet' as well as being a real 'up-and-coming player' in the trademark space.
- 'Ryan Pixton's expertise lies in clearance searches and opposition work.' - Legal 500, 2015.
- Managing IP has recognised Ryan as an 'IP Star' for Trade Marks in their 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 IP Stars guides.
- Ryan is part of our "‘impressive' trade mark practice which had a strong year on both the transactional and opposition fronts" (The Legal 500, 2014). He has also been "recommended" individually.
- Ryan was also named in The World Trademark Review 1000 – The World's Leading Trademark Professionals, 2015 as 'well versed in the management of global portfolios.'
European Trade Mark Attorney
Chartered Trade Mark Attorney (UK) - Awarded Payne/Bennett Memorial Prize for highest mark in the Finals search paper
IP Litigator - Trade Mark
BA Hons (Modern Languages)
The Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
The Community Trade Mark Handbook, Sweet & Maxwell, Contributor
‘On the Offensive’, Intellectual Property Magazine (2011-2012)